Be sure to stop by your local dealer to purchase a quality winter cover.
- Be sure to follow all manufacturer’s winterizing instructions for your skimmer, filter, pump and decking. Follow pool chemical manufacturer’s instructions for treating your pool prior to closing and during the winter season.
- Balance your water chemistry. Make sure that your pH, Total Alkalinity, and Calcium Hardness are all balanced. By balancing your water chemistry you are protecting the surface of the pool from staining and etching. Adding a winterizing chemical kit to your water will help keep it blue and clear for the next season. Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for the kit.
- Drain pool 6” below return fitting. Choose a safe drainage area capable of accepting a large amount of pool water. CAUTION: Chlorine kills lawns and plant life. Choose drainage area carefully. Follow filter manufacturers instructions to drain pool to the lowest water mark on the skimmer faceplate. DO NOT attempt to drain pool lower using the filter and pump. The pump must be able to draw water from the pool to operate safely. If you run the pump with the water level so low that no water passes to the pump, the pump seal may be permanently damaged. Remove additional water by siphoning with several garden hoses or your vacuum hose until pool water is 6” below the return fitting.
- Skimmer. We strongly recommend, for the protection of your skimmer, liner and pool wall, that you purchase and install a Winterizing Kit. This kit will allow removal and storage of your skimmer and filtering system, and should eliminate any possibility of damage due to winter peril. REMOVING THE SKIMMER WITHOUT INSTALLING A WINTERIZING KIT COULD RESULT IN DAMAGE TO THE POOL WALL, LINER AND POOL INSTALLATION, AND VOIDS ANY WARRANTY. SKIMMER DAMAGE CAUSED BY FREEZING TEMPERATURES IS NOT COVERED BY PRODUCT WARRANTY.
- Return Fitting. Remove the return fitting ball by unscrewing the cover. Replace the ball with the shut-off disc supplied with the return fitting and reinstall the cover. NOTE: This shut-off disc can be useful for plugging off the return fitting should maintenance be required on the filter or pump.
- Filter and Pump. Follow manufacturer’s instructions for winterizing. Clean and store all pool components indoors in a clean, dry area for the winter season. Follow manufacturer’s instructions for spring start-up.
- Install a winter cover on your pool to keep water clean and free from dirt, leaves and debris.